The TomTom Rider 2 GPS Navigator for motorcycles and scooters is an adaption of TomTom’s GO series for scooters or motorbikes. Adaptation features include; a ruggedized, waterproof casing, wireless delivery of navigation voice instructions via a Cardo scala-rider wireless headset and modified navigation menus for operation with gloved hands. The Rider 2 comes with a RAM mounting kit for handlebar mounting. You can use the TomTom Rider 2 in your car as well with the purchase of a car mounting kit which includes a speaker which the Rider 2 itself lacks.
The touchscreen of the Rider 2 is a 3.5 inch (diagonal) 320 x 240 pixels TFT color LCD. While the current trend in automotive GPS displays is for larger sizes, it seems a sensible size given the restricted width of motorbike or scooters handlebars. The on-screen menus have been thoughtfully designed with larger screen icons for easier use while wearing gloves. Tapping the navigation map display, while in motion, brings up a limited version of the menu with four basic options: Navigate to; Add Favorite; Clear Route; and Sound Off/On. The display transitions back to the map interface after a short period with no interaction. Accessing all the Rider 2 menus requires coming to a stop.
Navigation menus and map displays are, of course, to TomTom’s high standards with the smooth scrolling display available in both 2D and bird’s eye 3D formats. The menu structure is well designed with just 7 clicks being enough to set a destination. One feature missing is text-to-speech so, street names are not pronounced as part of voice navigation instructions.
The Rider 2′s built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 5 hours operation and can be wired into a 12 volt motorcycle battery (power cable included) for continuous use while recharging.
To provide a sensible mounting kit to suit most bikes, TomTom partnered with device mounting specialist Ram Mount. The Rider 2 locks into its dock with an audible click so that you know it�s securely in place and is easily removed using a release bar.
Audio for in-helmet navigation voice instructions and phone calls is conveyed using a Cardo scala-rider wireless Bluetooth headset. The kit includes a Bluetooth headset receiver/transmitter, cable extension, helmet headphone/earpiece assembly and standard earbuds for when your not riding your bike. The Bluetooth headset also doubles as a hands-free call kit allowing calls to be accepted via the touchscreen while in motion. Outgoing calls are blocked while moving for obvious safety reasons.
TomTom Rider 2 Feature Summary
- Preloaded Points of Interest (POI) – Easily find millions of gas stations, restaurants, hotels, and more on your route.
- 30-Day Latest Map Guarantee � you won’t miss out on any map upgrade just after your purchase.
- TomTom Map Share – Modify your own map and benefit from others’ verified changes with TomTom Map Share.
- Help Me! Emergency Menu – Easily access local emergency providers, such as police, fire stations, and hospitals.
- TomTom HOME � Free PC software to help plan and schedule journeys, download map updates and software upgrades, obtain real-time weather reports (including 5-day forecast) and download additional voices and/or POI’s.
- Free Buddies service � enables you to locate, invite and add friends to your Rider 2 .
- Route choice � choose routes based on different criteria such as; quickest, shortest, by required arrival time and avoiding toll roads and motorways.
Map coverage (on SD card) for the Rider 2 includes all American States (incl. Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico) and Canadian Provinces/Territories. There is an extensive range of supported languages for voice navigation instructions.
There is really little of a negative nature to report on the TomTom Rider 2. The power button can be difficult to operate especially with a gloved hand. Some users have commented that the volume levels are too low at speeds above 60 miles per hour but, it’s fairly subjective depending on hearing acuteness. As mentioned, the mounting kit is not guaranteed to fit all bikes but, should fit a large majority.
Compared to other specialized motorbike and scooter GPS navigators the TomTom Rider 2 does has a significant price advantage.
Optional Accessories and Ad Ons
Traffic Ready – Optional RDS-TMC traffic receiver accessory can keep you informed on traffic events and minimize potential delays.
Fuel Price Service – pay less by knowing where the cheapest fuel is.
TomTom Rider 2 Specification
- Integrated GPS receiver with 20 Channel all-in-view tracking
- CPU: 380 MHz
- 32 MB RAM
- 3.5 inch, 320 x 240 TFT color LCD touchscreen
- 4.46 in x 3.79 in x 2.08 in, 11 ounces
- Internal rechargeable Li-Ion giving approx. 5 hours
- Operating temperature: 14 to 130�F
- Waterproof (IPX7) – protects against any wet-weather conditions
- Bluetooth headset battery – talk time: 7 hours
- Bluetooth headset battery – standby: 1 week
- Memory card (SD card) with software and maps
- USB port and USB cable 2.0 for PC connection
- Alternative power source: 12V motorbike battery
- High quality Cardo scala-rider wireless Bluetooth headset for in-helmet spoken instructions
- RAM Mounting kit to fit nearly all bikes
- Supports leading Bluetooth-enabled helmets