The DeLorme Earthmate PN-30 GPS imbues the solid design and performance the quality of DeLorme’s GPS products for professionals. As the DeLorme PN series outdoors GPS navigators have been used successfully in numerous Arctic and Antarctic expeditions they have a heritage upon which to place trust. The PN-30 is identical to the PN-40 except for the obvious color difference (green vs orange) and the absence of 3-axis electronic compass and sensitive barometric altimeter for more accurate altitude readings.
The PN-30 has a high sensivity STMicroelectronics Cartesio GPS chipset, and preloaded map and imagery. Its has an appropriately rugged build and is waterproof (IPX-7) for damp outdoor conditions. The display is a 65K-color daylight-readable transflective TFT screen by Sharp usable in any light conditions including direct sunlight.
Data layering is a standout feature of DeLorme�s PN-30. Users can select which map or imagery type to use for their current location. See the PN-40 screenshots below.
Highlight Features of PN-30
- Fast, high-sensitivity 32-channel STMicroelectronics Cartesio chipset
- Dual-core processor for instantaneous map and satellite imagery redraws, even with large aerial imagery files and multiple maps layers
- 360 degree raster rotation so that everything is in its correct relative position on the navigation display as you hike, bike or drive
- WAAS enabled accuracy to 3 meters
- In-device high-capacity (32 GB) SD memory cards with fast USB 2.0 data transfer (500 MB onboard Flash memory)
- Greater detail onboard U.S. base map data now including with secondary and connector roads, along with major highways and thoroughfares for the entire world (detailed U.S. street and backroad detail still provided via included Topo USA software)
DeLorme PN-30 Environmental Toughness
The PN-30 is waterproof to the IEC 529 IPX7 standard capable of functioning in high-humidity (up to 90 percent) and in rain. It has been rigorously tested to function in high-vibration conditions such as encountered during off-road driving. Temperature is not a problem with a -20 C and +75 C working range.
Generous Mapping Data Inclusions
When considering the PN-30 against other outdoor handheld GPS navigators its important to consider the value of the mapping data which is included which may not be on other devices. The PN-30 comes with up-to-date DeLorme Topo USA mapping software which is the full version of Topo USA, with all its desktop and GPS capabilities included. Also included are; East, Central, and West regional DVDs with detailed U.S. street and topo maps by state or region, a 1-GB SD card, detailed user manual, Quick Start Guide and two AA batteries.
With the excellent storage capacity, the PN-30 will store up to 1,000 user-defined waypoints, 50 routes, and 10 tracks. They can be easily downloaded or uploaded using the included Topo USA software. Both road and trail routes are automatically displayed as generated using Topo USA. Road routes and direct (point-to-point) routes also can be generated on the PN-30.
User Reviews and Price Comparisons