Magellans RoadMate 5145T-LM GPS has a 5 inch color touch screen display which is the largest in the Magellan range of automotive turn-by-turn GPS satellite navigators. The RoadMate has wide range of features including spoken street names, maps covering US, Canada and Puerto Rico, highway lane assist, 6 million POI (points of interest), AAA Tourbook, find-your-car and multi-destination routing.
As well as getting a much larger than average display, the display has good color reproduction, contrast and is a transmissive LCD for easier viewing sunlight – unlike media tablet and smart phone displays one would use with a navigation app. The free map upgrades are a valuable inclusions as up to 10 percent of roads can change in a year increasing the chance of erroneous route calculations unless maps are updated regularly. The time savings from avoiding traffic congestion can be a prime reason for using a GPS device if one does a regular commute so free traffic reports are a very useful inclusion.
Features of the Roadmate 5415T-LM GPS
The feature range for the Magellan RoadMate 5145T-LM GPS includes all features of the previously reviewed 5045LM GPS with the inclusion of:
- SD Slot
- Speed Limits – gives you the option of having speed limits displayed for major roadways
- Periodic Reporting for storing business mileage in one convenient file for expense reporting
- Branded POI and POIs along Route
- Smart City Search predicts city being looked for based on current position and navigation history
- Smart Detour triggered when speed drops under 20 percent of the posted freeway speed limit to display the detour button for options to avoid congestion.
- QWERTY/ABCD keyboard
- Find your Car in large or unfamiliar car parks
- Pedestrian mode
GPS Review Summary
The Magellan’s RoadMate 5145T-LM features such as traffic updates, free map updates, periodic reporting, multi-destination routing and smart detour make it a good choice for those who travel extensively for work. For more details on other features read our full review of the Magellan RoadMate 5045LM GPS.